- Advertisement -

Military brutality in Garu: Victim in his late 40s dies; youth demand immediate action

- Advertisement -

Youth in Garu and Tempane districts in the Upper East Region have been plunged into mourning following the passing of a man in his late 40s allegedly due to severe injuries sustained during a recent incident of military brutality in the areas.

According to sources, the man was one of over 200 victims subjected to brutal beatings by some military personnel just weeks ago in the two areas.

It may be recalled that a few weeks ago, some military personnel, in an apparent response to a previous attack on a national security vehicle by the youth in the area, carried out a series of brutal beatings on residents of Garu and Tempane. This brutal crackdown left several individuals injured and in a state of shock.

Although an autopsy report is yet to be released to the public to ascertain the cause of his death, many, including the Parliamentary Candidate for the area on the NDC ticket, have linked the brutality to his unfortunate demise.

Dr. Anabah Thomas, a Medical Doctor and Parliamentary Candidate of the area on the NDC ticket, expressed his concern about the man’s death, stating that it was a result of the military brutality he endured. He confirmed that the family informed him that their relative died of internal bleeding in the head.

Dr. Thomas stated, “There could not be a better explanation than military brutality causing the man’s death. The injuries sustained during the incident were severe, and based on preliminary observations, it is highly likely that they contributed to his untimely demise. The family told me that the doctor said there was some blood in his head.”

He called on the authorities to assist the remaining victims who might have suffered internal injuries by providing them with medical checkups.

Abraham Atubilla, a leading advocate for the youth in the two districts, also urged authorities to hold those responsible for the excessive use of force accountable. He also acknowledged that the eight victims who were taken to Accra for further investigation have been released back to the community without any charges filed against them.

Meanwhile, the deceased remains at the Upper East Regional Hospital for further examination.

 Source: A1radioonline.com|101.1MHz|Moses Apiah|Ghana

- Advertisement -


- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related news

- Advertisement -