The Black Stars just need a win against South Africa on Sunday at the Cape Coast stadium to book their place in the play-offs of the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
However, victory for Milovan Rajevac’s men on the final matchday will see them tie South Africa on points.
For World Cup qualifiers, tie breakers used after points are;
- Points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss)
- Overall goal difference
- Overall goals scored
- Points in matches between tied teams
- Goal difference in matches between tied teams
- Goals scored in matches between tied teams
- Away goals scored in matches between tied teams (if the tie is only between two teams in home-and-away league format)
- Fair play points
- first yellow card: minus 1 point
- indirect red card (second yellow card): minus 3 points
- direct red card: minus 4 points
- yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points
- Drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee
In Ghana’s situation, even the narrowest of victories, that is a 1-0 win over South Africa will mean both sides have the same goal difference of +4.
The next tiebreaker will be goals scored and Ghana would have scored seven compared to South Africa’s six.
As a result, the Black Stars will qualify for the play-off round of the FIFA World Cup by virtue of goals scored.