- Advertisement -

Education Ministry orders reinstatement of BOGISS student’s boarding status after sexual abuse allegations

- Advertisement -

The Ministry of Education has directed the Ghana Education Service (GES) to immediately reinstate the boarding status of a 14-year-old student with autism who was allegedly sexually abused by two watchmen at Bolgatanga Girls’ Senior High School (BOGISS) in the Upper East Region.

The directive follows public concern over the school’s decision to withdraw the student’s boarding status after the alleged abuse, which was first reported by Media Without Borders on Aug. 18, 2026.

In a statement issued Thursday, Aug. 20, Deputy Minister for Education Dr. Clement Abas Apaak said Education Minister Haruna Iddrisu had also directed the GES to immediately investigate the case and ensure the student receives the necessary medical attention and counselling.

The ministry strongly rejected any suggestion that the 14-year-old could be held responsible for the alleged sexual acts involving adult employees of the school.

“We wish to state unequivocally that a minor cannot be held responsible for sexual abuse perpetrated against her by an adult,” the ministry said.

The statement comes after Media Without Borders reported that the school had withdrawn the girl’s boarding status and temporarily converted her to a day student following allegations that two school watchmen had sexually abused her on four occasions on campus between late June and early July.

According to the Media Without Borders investigation, the girl was allegedly first lured to an isolated area behind the school’s dining hall by one of the watchmen, who promised to buy her food. A second watchman allegedly abused her days later at the school’s security post after she went there to retrieve a tablet she had left overnight to charge. School sources told the outlet that each watchman allegedly abused her again in early July.

Media Without Borders also reported that the school subsequently wrote to the student’s family describing her as “guilty of sexual misconduct” under the GES code of conduct. The family challenged the school’s handling of the case, arguing that the girl, who has autism, was a minor who had been taken advantage of by adults responsible for her safety.

The Ministry of Education has now taken a similar position, saying responsibility cannot be placed on the student.

“We condemn in the strongest terms any act of sexual abuse or exploitation of a child under our care,” the ministry said. “Schools exist to protect and nurture students, and any breach of that trust, particularly by adults entrusted with safeguarding vulnerable children, is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.”

BOGISS Headmistress Gifty Ayamba had confirmed to Media Without Borders that the student initially reported one of the watchmen to the school’s Dean of Discipline before later identifying a second employee as being involved. She said both men admitted to the acts when they appeared before the school’s disciplinary committee.

The headmistress said the case was referred through the Municipal and Regional Education Directorates before being reported to police. She explained that the decision to make the student a day student was partly intended to ensure she could consistently take prescribed medication at home.

The girl’s family, however, opposed the decision, arguing that remaining in the boarding school environment was important to her development and social integration.

The Upper East Regional Police Command subsequently arrested the two watchmen on Aug. 18, a few hours after Media Without Borders broke the story. Police identified the suspects as Adams Nyaaba Iddrisu, 72, and Elvis Adongo, 38.

The ministry said the GES investigation should be conducted and a report submitted immediately. It also directed that the student receive medical care and counselling to support her recovery.

The Ministry of Education assured the family that it would pursue the matter and ensure justice is served.

“The Ministry will ensure justice is served in this matter,” the statement said.

It reaffirmed the government’s commitment to protecting the safety, dignity and rights of children within Ghana’s education system.

A1 Radio | 101.1 MHz | Bolgatanga

- Advertisement -

MOST POPULAR

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related news

- Advertisement -