President Akufo-Addo has nominated former Member of Parliament for the Binduri Constituency, Steven Yakubu, for the position of the Upper East Regional Minister.
This announcement will definitely put an end to the intense lobbying and also answer public calls for the president to reward the people of Binduri with the Regional Minister position.
In 2020, the New Patriotic Party won only the Binduri parliamentary seat out the 15 constituencies in the Upper East Region, and so did not come as surprise when the constituents started calling for someone from the area to be appointed the Regional Minister.
Before this nomination, Steven Yakubu was Ghana’s ambassador to Morocco, during the first term of President Akufo Addo.
If he goes through vetting successfully, he will be the first Regional Minister from the Binduri area since 1992.
He will replace Tangoba Abayage who was also Ghana’s ambassador to Italy before her nomination for the Upper East Regional Minister position.
Below is the list of other Regional Minister nominees by President Akufo Addo:
- Ahafo Region – George Boakye
- Ashanti Region – Simon Osei-Mensah
- Bono Region – Justina Owusu-Banahene
- Bono-East Region – Adu Gyan
- Central Region – Justina Marigold Assan
- Eastern Region- Seth Acheampong
- Greater Accra Region- Henry Quartey, MP
- Northern Region – Shani Alhassan Saibu
- North-East Region – Yidana Zakaria
- Oti Region – Joseph Makubu
- Savannah Region – Saeed Muhazu Jibril
- Upper-West – Dr. Hafiz Bin Salih
- Volta-Region – Dr. Archibald Yao Letsa
- Western Region – Kwabena Okyere Darko Mensah, MP
- Western Region North Richard Obeng