Meanwhile, it has come to light that eight individuals who were brutalized by the military and then held at the military base in Bazua, in the Binduri district of the Upper East Region, subsequently transported to Tamale, the Northern Regional Capital, and then further to Accra, the National Capital have been released.
According to Abraham Atubila, a youth leader who spoke to Mark Smith on A1 Radio’s Day Break Upper East Show, the individuals who were taken to Accra were further abused while in the custody of the military.
After enduring much abuse at the hands of the military, some charges were filed against them in court. Subsequently, all the charges were dropped, and the individuals were acquitted and discharged.
“They were released on Friday and arrived home on Saturday around 1 p.m. They were released after a very tough time,” Atubila said.
“What happened to them isn’t something I would even wish on my worst enemy. They recounted the ordeal they went through at the hands of the military. Before being taken away from Garu, they were severely beaten. According to them, when they were taken to, I think, the Bazua camp, they were blindfolded and subjected to further torture. When the torture became unbearable, they were transported again and locked in a room. According to them [those arrested], they didn’t know where they were until the blindfold was removed. On Monday evening, we received the news that they had been released, not knowing that they had been blindfolded again and airlifted to Accra,” he said.
Meanwhile, one of the brutalized individuals has lost his life. According to Mr. Atubila, the cause of his death is not clear as post-mortem reports are yet to be finalized. However, the youth leader strongly suspects that the said individual succumbed to his injuries after being beaten.
Source: A1radioonline.com|101.1MHz|Mark Kwasi Ahumah Smith|Ghana