- Advertisement -

Drivers, motorbike riders in Upper East Region urged to get insurance cover for vehicles

- Advertisement -

Drivers and motorcycle riders in the Upper East Region are being urged to, as a matter of urgency, ensure their vehicles and motorcycles are given insurance cover as mandated by law.

The Upper East Regional office of the National Insurance Commission (NIC) in collaboration with the Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD) of the Ghana Police Service, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) and the National Road Safety Authority (NRSA) embarked on a motor insurance enforcement exercise.

The exercise was in compliance with the Road Traffic Act 2004 (Act 683) and the Insurance Act 2021 (Act 1061).

Speaking to A1 Radio, the Upper East Regional Head of the National Insurance Commission, Ernest Osei Adofo said, as cases of road accidents continue to soar, there’s a need to ensure that all vehicles have basic insurance.

“The reason is that as one plys the road or one drives a vehicle or a motorcycle, there’s an exposure to a third party; that is a pedestrian could be knocked down by the vehicle. In this case, the thinking is that there will be a financial package that will enable the victim or the ones whose property or vehicle has been damaged by the driver to take care of the cost of repairing the damaged property or take care of the medical expenses of the injured.”

“The basic cover is the third party but there are other layers of protection such as a third party and the comprehensive that gives a wider coverage. But at least you should have a minimum of the third party to be on the road.”

Admitting that there have been some issues of delays in the payment of claims, Mr. Adofo explained that such undue delays should be reported to the NIC.

“There’s been a lot of complaints about the claim processes when it comes to insurance and the Commission indeed has taken notes of these and addressed some of these issues if they are reported to us. But it is important for the public to appreciate and know that before you take your insurance you must have certain basic documents in place you must have a driver’s license. Your roadworthy must be valid. These are two key documents that are required to process your claim.”

“If the public or any member of the public has reason to believe that there is a delay in his or legitimate claim process, he is advised to contact the regional office of the national insurance commission and we will help to address these issues,” he said.

Source:A1Radioonline.Com|101.1MHZ|David Azure |Bolgatanga|

- Advertisement -


- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related news

- Advertisement -